Moving into a new home is far from fun but with some helpful tips you'll be ready in no time...
List of ways to take the stress out of moving:
1) Decide on either moving company or do-it-yourself
If you choose a moving company make sure you do your research first and pick a reputable company and make sure you have replacement insurance either your own or through the mover. If you decide to DIY make sure you have enough help (trucks and helpers).
Keep only the amount of items that you NEED!
• If items are in worn, outdated, in bad shape, or you just plain hate them REPLACE them if you can.
• Give yourself a no-guilt free-pass to toss broken belongings or items with missing pieces.
• Keep only the small furniture pieces that you LOVE or that you will REPURPOSE.
• Be sure the large furniture you own has a place in your new space. If not, SELL it.
• Keep only decor that you LOVE.
3) Start Early
Simply put don't wait until the last minute to start packing. Begin early and pack up the things you don't need.
4) Label your boxes
Be sure to label fragile boxes FRAGILE. Keep all like items from each room together, this will go a long way in keeping things organized and make unpacking quicker.
5) Separate out a box of necessities
Necessities such as: toilet paper, soap, light bulbs, garbage bags, sheets, towels... and anything else you think you will immediately need.
6) Organize your utilities
Nothing beats unpacking in the cold and dark so be sure to contact the gas, electric, phone, water and cable companies before you move so they are ready and waiting for you.
7) Painting and other repairs
It's a lot easier painting an empty room or to repair flooring. So plan on doing any type of repairs, if needed, prior to move-in date.
You never know how many keys are floating around out there. It's a wise idea to do just before move in.